Spring is here and it’s time to get your home ready for this next season.
Just like your car needs its oil changed on a regular basis, your home also needs routine maintenance as the seasons change to ensure that it continues to operate efficiently and to reduce the risk of costly repairs. To assist you in knowing what TLC your home needs, we have created this checklist to help you out.
- Clean the gutters – get out the ladder and check to make sure that all of your gutters are clear of debris and that joints are secure. As the snow melts and April showers come, you should also check to that all of the troughs are directed away from your home
- Examine roof – with the snow all gone, now is the time to check your roof for damaged or missing shingles that need to be replaced
- Check your windows – inspect all of your home’s windows both inside and out to be sure the weather stripping and caulking is still in good condition. Any leakage could affect air flow and water penetration into your home
- Air conditioner – check your air conditioner and remove any leaves, garbage, etc. from the coils
- Filters – clean or replace the air filters in your hood fans, furnace and HRV
- Smoke alarms – now is a good time to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they are operating properly and replace the batteries
- Window wells – if you have window wells in your home, clean out of any leaves, garbage, etc. that may have accumulated in them
- Soil conditions – check the soil conditions around your home for caving or settlement. You will want to be sure that the soil is topped up and that it will direct water away from your foundation
- Intake vent – clean all exterior intake vents
- Humidifier – change humidity levels on your humidifier to around 40 percent as the warmer weather arrives
- Granite counters – seal your granite counter tops (if you have them). This should be done 2x per year
- Grout – seal all of the tile grout in your home to maintain its quality and color.
Need any help with these tasks, give us a call and our team can help!